Fireworks
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Firefest live video shows on Rocktopia
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1...345678910
TOPIC: Firefest live video shows on Rocktopia
Berny

These go to 11 ...
Rock God
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Transistor Limited Location: Austria - Great Britain Birthday: 04/01
Re:Firefest live video shows on Rocktopia 4 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 20
melodicrock wrote:
Berny wrote:
Watch this space ...

I always am

By the way, did the series of Final Fling videos ("a new show will be added EVERY day") end, or can we expect more videos being posted soon?

Yes, more videos will be posted soon! Watch this space ... again!

Rocktopia - The only melodic rock site that goes to 11!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
melodicrock

Groupie
graphgraph
Re:Firefest live video shows on Rocktopia 4 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 2
So... I guess it's safe to conclude that this forum is dead. Apart from the "currently listening to" thread, nothing has been posted on this entire forum since your last reply ("more videos will be posted soon! Watch this space") over 4 months ago.
Bummer, as I was still hoping for those Firefest videos... but I guess if I'm the only one who still cares about them, it probably isn't worth the effort on your part.

Berny

These go to 11 ...
Rock God
graph
Gender: Male Transistor Limited Location: Austria - Great Britain Birthday: 04/01
Re:Firefest live video shows on Rocktopia 4 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 20
melodicrock wrote:
So... I guess it's safe to conclude that this forum is dead. Apart from the "currently listening to" thread, nothing has been posted on this entire forum since your last reply ("more videos will be posted soon! Watch this space") over 4 months ago.
Bummer, as I was still hoping for those Firefest videos... but I guess if I'm the only one who still cares about them, it probably isn't worth the effort on your part.

I agree with EVERYTHING you said. But pls. be patient with us (me):

- We WILL add more Firefest shows as soon as we can, and no, you are certainly not the only one who cares about them

- We had to move the entire site to a new host weeks ago, and were hacked a few days later, pls. have a look at our Facebook page for more information

- We are slowly but surely getting back to speed adding reviews and news, while the forum is still, well, a bit 'silent'

- Many melodic rock fans use the existing or more 'established' message boards, and while they enjoy visiting Rocktopia, they discuss things elsewhere, which is shame

- Rocktopia will introduce a lot of cool and new features in the not too distant future

So pls. be patient with us, and PLEASE: Help us out and make this forum more active by adding your own topics.

melodicrock

Groupie
graphgraph
Thanks for the update. It's good to know that there is still life beneath the surface, even if we don't see much of it at the moment (and yeah, getting hacked is very irritating and can waste quite a bit of time, I know).

And I know what you mean with rock fans preferring other (established) message boards... I have to admit, I too usually visit other boards. Tbh, I think most people (especially musicians) prefer the slightly more 'independent' message boards over the ones associated with specific record labels...

But for those Firefest videos I'll gladly be patient a bit longer and check in from time to time to see how it's going here (plus, I'm just plain curious about the other 'cool' stuff you guys are working on)

Berny

These go to 11 ...
Rock God
graph
melodicrock wrote:
Tbh, I think most people (especially musicians) prefer the slightly more 'independent' message boards over the ones associated with specific record labels...

Hi melodicrock,

Many thanks for your reply. Do you think that Rocktopia is associated with a specific record label?

melodicrock

Groupie
graphgraph
Yes, I do. Isn't Rocktopia the official website for Rocktopia Records now?

Berny

These go to 11 ...
Rock God
graph
melodicrock wrote:
Yes, I do. Isn't Rocktopia the official website for Rocktopia Records now?

Interesting comment and to be honest, I haven't really thought about this. Having said that, the owners of more established sites run their own record labels, too.

I think that Rocktopia has always been truly 'independent'. We do not post any ads by record labels (if such ads should be shown, they were automatically generated by Google), we never ever have or will ask for donations and we try to offer as much as we can for free. There are no paid membership-only areas on our site. You can even download free stuff from our shop.

Just look at the front page, do you see any banners except the one for the "Wildlife Site"? This banner has been online since we launched the site over five years ago. And it was placed there to support - what I think is - a noble cause.

Call me naive, but I think the best things in life should be kept free. When we started this site, I thought that we could build a proper community, but after more than five years, I must admit that most Melodic Rock fans simply follow their old habits and discuss things elsewhere. No discussions = no community, as simple as that.

The odd thing is that this only counts for our forum, the rest of the site is performing great. New members sign up everyday and Rocktopia's daily hits are growing and growing.

Could it be that our forum is too complicated to use? Without any kind of feedback, we'll never know ...

melodicrock

Groupie
graphgraph
I hope it's okay that we're taking this thread way off topic

You're right about the rest of the site... I do check out the news and reviews sections here on a regular basis.

It's good to know that this site still attempts to remain independent, though I'm still uncertain exactly how Rocktopia Records fits into that. Is Rocktopia Records planning to become a real competitor of other MR record labels (such as Frontiers), or does it have another purpose entirely? And what exactly is the relationship between this site/forum and Rocktopia Records?

You're also right that some of the other established sites (such as MR.com) have their own record label as well now and/or heavily rely on advertisements from specific companies (or paid membership areas), so that's a good point. I know back then Andrew (MR.com) said he started that label to be able to release records that were forgotten or records from bands that nobody else wanted to release. I'm not so sure if that's till true today, but given the kind of records he releases, I don't think the label counts as a real competitor to the bigger guys in this genre.
As for paid membership... okay, this is probably nitpicking, but not everything here is free... Fireworks Magazine (which is also associated with this website, right?) still costs money... so not all information is offered for free (though imho the magazine is worth it ).

As for the forum... I don't think it's too complicated, but if people have the choice between posting on an established forum with lots of activities, or a forum where basically nothing is happening and where you have no idea if anyone (other than the forum moderator) will actually read your post, then the choice is fairly easy.
One way of breaking through this, is to start generating the activity yourself. If you yourselves (the Rocktopia people) use the forum more to discuss things (and keep that up, even when the response here is low)... eg create a link from every album review (in the Reviews section) to a forum thread, where people can discuss the album that was reviewed (and make it a habit to post a few other opinions there yourselves), or if you use the forum to discuss gigs that you attended or would like to attend, or start a couple of polls on interesting topics, then I'm fairly sure more people will jump in fairly quickly.

And, I know you guys are really busy, buy imho it would also help if things like "more videos will be posted soon" would actually happen, and not take many months. If you yourselves already take months for an update, then people are much less inclined to come back on a daily (or even weekly) basis...

I hope this little bit of feedback helps...

[edit] on a sidenote, the forum also seems to have a fair share of technical issues. I constantly lose connection when I hit the 'Submit' button (my reply does seem to get posted, but instead of the page refreshing, I am then greeted by an Error 524 (" Website is offline. No cached version of this page is available.") But the website isn't offline, as I can just go back to the forum and look up the thread again (and then my reply is there).
And at least a couple of times a week, when I try to connect to the forum early in the morning, I am greeted by a similar error and I cannot connect to the forum at all (until later that day). Things like those are also not very motivating when you want to attract more people here and convince them to use this forum...

Last Edit: 2015/07/30 10:45 By melodicrock.
BLM

Road Crew
graphgraph
Re:Firefest live video shows on Rocktopia 4 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 9
Okay, quick reply to one of the main point raised above. No, Rocktopia is NOT associated with a record label. Basical, when Kieran and myself were doing Firefest, we released CDs and DVDs on Firefest Records, our own label. With Firefest no longer with us after the final show last year, and with us helping our friends in Ten and In Faith out, we decided to change the name from Firefest Records to Rocktopia Records, to keep the label name current. This website was here for 5 years before we even thought of using the name for a label, and while we use the sire to publish our news items, the site is NOT tied into the label (which in itself is a tiny, tiny label, helping out friends and not meant to be in competition with anybody).

Hope that helps answers THAT part of your question anyway.

Berny

These go to 11 ...
Rock God
graph
@ melodicrock: Hope at least the question about Rocktopia Records was answered.

As for your other suggestions: In the next couple of weeks, we will try our best to make this forum a more interesting place to visit.

Watch this space ...

Go to topPage: 1...345678910
get the latest posts directly to your desktop

This website uses cookies to help us give you the best experience when you visit. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Statement.

I accept cookies from this site