Fireworks
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Fireworks Magazine: Likes and dislikes
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: Fireworks Magazine: Likes and dislikes
Bazorca

8-track
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Fireworks Magazine: Likes and dislikes 6 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Howdi! ... Here's my thoughts...

* I appreciate there were some issues with the CDs, but I really miss them - I've got into so many other bands as a result, Eden's Curse, W.E.T, Eclipse and so on.

* I'd prefer to see a more concise album review, with a scoring system. Possibly, the artwork for each album too and maybe a "sounds like.." or "for fans of" comment.

* I like reading the live reviews, so personally, I'd be sorry to see them go.

* Any chance of an "In Brief" section, possibly covering new albums in the making, album release dates, band tour dates etc

Thanks all! ... Still a great magazine!!!!

The administrator has disabled public write access.
PJS

Top Of The Bill
graphgraph
Gender: Male Location: Bury, Greater Manchester, England Birthday: 03/14
Re:Fireworks Magazine: Likes and dislikes 6 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 15
To Bazorca:

What if the live reviews were a special feature of Rocktopia instead? You would still get them (but hopefully sooner than now)...

To Berny, LeChef & Hysteria:

The economics of overseas distribution is as follows: it takes time to build up a circulation and every extra copy printed has to be paid for. Distribute a huge extra quantity only to initially have limited additional sales would bankrupt a small independent magazine. Major magazine companies can afford to absorb such costs with their relatively well-known titles. Fireworks cannot, and that's the stark reality of the situation.

Best regards, Paul

Berny

These go to 11 ...
Rock God
graph
Gender: Male Transistor Limited Location: Austria - Great Britain Birthday: 04/01
Re:Fireworks Magazine: Likes and dislikes 6 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 20
PJS wrote:

To Berny, LeChef & Hysteria:

The economics of overseas distribution is as follows: it takes time to build up a circulation and every extra copy printed has to be paid for. Distribute a huge extra quantity only to initially have limited additional sales would bankrupt a small independent magazine. Major magazine companies can afford to absorb such costs with their relatively well-known titles. Fireworks cannot, and that's the stark reality of the situation.

Best regards, Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for the explanation. I was under the impression that a (local) magazine distributor in - let's say - country "A" could order a copy from the magazine's main distributor (based in the magazine's home country "B"). Such orders are 'on demand' only, so there would be no need to print any extra copies. This, of course, would only work if Warners kept a certain amount of "back up" copies (for distribution in the UK) that could be diverted for such purposes.

I was able to order copies of pretty obscure ('foreign') computer magazines a couple of years ago, and was surprised that Fireworks was not even listed with any major distributor over here.

Anyway, it's no big deal: Ordering the magazine on Rocktopia is no problem at all. Having said that, it would have been cool to try some "guerilla product placement" (in selected news agents abroad) ...

Re tour dates: I really like Bazorca's idea! Rocktopia's "Event Calendar" was built for this purpose. The system is ready, we just have to fill it with contents. So you could have a general overview of the most important live dates in the magazine and use RTEC* for an in-depth listing of all shows / tours / events taking place in the not too distant future.

Best regards,

B.

* RTEC = Rocktopia Events Calendar

Rocktopia - The only melodic rock site that goes to 11!
PJS

Top Of The Bill
graphgraph
Re:Fireworks Magazine: Likes and dislikes 6 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 15
Regarding events listing, my view is that should be entirely a RTEC matter! It is one of those facilities that has been sadly underused and underdeveloped so far.

I think that all that's needed is a volunteer to focus upon that....

Best regards, Paul

Spirit76

8-track
graphgraph
Re:Fireworks Magazine: Likes and dislikes 6 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
I was pleased to read in the editorial of the new Fireworks issue 56 March/April.
That the typeface is going to be bigger, for me that is a great decision. The tiny typeface and very condensed amount of articles has made it a hard read at times.
I look forward to the revamped Fireworks.

HWTH

8-track
graphgraph
Hello Fireworks!

Things I would like:

- Larger fonts and better layout
- More interaction with your web site
- Latest tour dates/concert reviews

Things I don't like:

- No cover CD's
- No way to order old copies of the magazine in your webshop (it is offline all the time!!!)

It's a great magazine that can only get better (like good wine)!

PJS

Top Of The Bill
graphgraph
Re:Fireworks Magazine: Likes and dislikes 6 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 15
Thanks HWTH for your ideas. I am noting everything that is being said here.

However, you raise a matter that Berny suggests is easy to do: ordering back copies via Rocktopia. However, you suggest that this is proving VERY difficult (if not impossible) as the shop always seems to be off line.

I'm sure that Berny will look into this as it seems to me that if you cannot order the magazine here then the idea of trying to order it abroad via a regional distributor is a matter to consider only after getting out own arrangements in order.

You can actually order back issues via the editor, Bruce Mee, and pay by PayPal - but it should and must be available here as a matter of urgency, I think.

As for reviews, more will be shorter in the future as I have asked the writers to try and keep word length restricted except for those that might be feature ones. This should start to be obvious in Fireworks #57. As for rating/scoring reviews, I do not think there is a clear cut viewpoint about this, and I do have to mention that most of the writers would rather continue as at present. Once a review crosses into this domain (i.e. onto Rocktopia), there is a summary comment at the beginning that gives an initial perspective as to whether an album is recommended or not.

I have noted something of an unholy row over at Rock Report about member review scores, and I personally remain concerned that these can be far too subjective. I look forward to reading more comments about this.

I do like the idea of putting a small picture of each album being reviewed and think that the reviews as they are published here on Rocktopia gain a great deal from having an accompanying image.

All the best, Paul

Last Edit: 2013/03/06 04:21 By PJS.Reason: clarification of a point
Greg

8-track
graphgraph
Bazorca wrote:
Howdi! ... Here's my thoughts...

* I appreciate there were some issues with the CDs, but I really miss them - I've got into so many other bands as a result, Eden's Curse, W.E.T, Eclipse and so on.

* I'd prefer to see a more concise album review, with a scoring system. Possibly, the artwork for each album too and maybe a "sounds like.." or "for fans of" comment.

- I'd like to see a scoring system, too.

- If you cannot afford cover CDs go digital and offer MP3s on Rocktopia.

BTW: Great magazine AND website!

PJS

Top Of The Bill
graphgraph
Re:Fireworks Magazine: Likes and dislikes 6 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 15
Hey Greg...

Thanks for your comments. I'm pleased you like Fireworks and Rocktopia...

Scoring of reviews:

Do you not think that what the writers say is a far better guide than a score? Lazy, glib, short reviews plus a score is used, for example, by Classic Rock. You surely don't prefer that?

The question of covermounted CDs / mp3s is a complex one. Your suggestion is well made and appreciated. It is notable that Powerplay stopped having covermounted CDs quite a while ago, and it would be interesting to have an insight into why they ceased.

I do know that the time spent in chasing up the tracks and then in chasing up payment for them takes the fun and the pleasure away.

However, I think the pl;an is still to have such CDs - but more occasionally. In any case, subscribers get an occasional CD as part of their package that casual purchasers do not get...

All the best,

Paul

BLM

Road Crew
graphgraph
Re:Fireworks Magazine: Likes and dislikes 6 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 9
Warners DO export some copies of Fireworks .. just not very many. I HAVE asked them to try and be more pro-active ... without much joy ..

Go to topPage: 123
get the latest posts directly to your desktop

This website uses cookies to help us give you the best experience when you visit. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Statement.

I accept cookies from this site